Here is the information that the TLA has been able to determine regarding COVID-19 testing for American citizens (as of August 10, 2021). Because requirements may change over time, you will have to be vigilant about checking websites, etc. on a regular basis in and around the times you wish to travel.
1. Before travelling into Canada, Americans should complete the requirements outlined on the ArriveCAN website or app : www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html
2. A negative COVID test is required for Americans to fly back to the US: wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-canada
3. If crossing the border by car, a negative COVID test is required to travel from the United States into Canada, but is not required at this time when travelling from Canada to the US. Here is a website link from the US Department of State with further details: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/covid-19_testing_required_US_Entry.html
4. The North Bay COVID-19 Assessment Centre is currently offering testing for travellers returning to the United States. Phone 705-474-8600, ext. 4110 to book an appointment.
- Location: North Bay Regional Health Centre (NBRHC: https://nbrhc.on.ca), 50 College Drive, North Bay
- A drive-through option is available for asymptomatic testing and is located at the west entrance of NBRHC.
- There is no charge at this time (although $200.00 CAD was previously quoted).
- Test results are available within 48 hours. To receive this information, call the Medical Records department of the NBRHC at 705-474-8600, ext. 2645.
5. The Timiskaming Health Unit / THU (www.timiskaminghu.com) is not currently offering COVID travel testing in New Liskeard. The THU COVID Line can, however, be accessed at 1-866-747-4305, ext. 7 for up-to-date information.
6. TLA President, Dr. Paul Tamburro, is actively pursuing COVID testing options with the Temagami Health Centre / Temagami Family Health Team and the Timiskaming Health Unit. We are hoping to bring COVID testing to Temagami for seasonal residents. Stay tuned for further information.
7. LifeLabs (a private laboratory company) offers COVID testing for people travelling back to the US, with results sent to your personal e-mail within 48 hours. Testing appointments can be booked online or by phone (www.lifelabs.com/flyclear or 1-877-404-0637) and cost $199.99 CAD. Once an appointment is booked, you must take your requisition form and passport to the Shoppers Drug Mart location that was selected when booking the test. Most of these sites, however, are in the Greater Toronto area.
8. Here are some other useful links: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/testing.html (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid (Government of Canada).